From the most amazing action to the most adorable romance- Bollywood made 2014 fun filled with numerous hits. The following list gives the movies that ruled the box office this year.
1. PK: This went on to collect a gigantic sum of 285 crores (As per 04-Jan -2015). But this is not the first time that Rajkuamar-Aamir duo proved awesome. After their super hit ‘3 Idiots’, the ace director and actor teamed up to create ‘PK’ that beat all the releases of this year. The impressive performances of Anushka Sharma and Sushant Singh Rajput have contributed significantly to the success, while the comedy of Sanjay Dutt as Bahiron Singh is definitely praiseworthy.
2. Kick: A film is sure to succeed when Salman Khan’s vibrant personality blends with the energetic stunts. Jacqueline Fernandez has strengthened her position in B-town with her breath-taking looks and adorable acting in the movie. And the result? The Sajid Nadiawala directorial earned 233 crores.
3. Happy New Year: Deepika and Shah Rukh made Diwali utmost enjoyable with their last release. The total collection of this Farah Khan directed comedy was 203 crores. Abhishek Bachchan,Sonu Sood, Boman Irani, Vivan Shah and Jackie Shroff were seen in prominent roles. Though it has received mixed to positive reviews, it has won the title of one of the highest-grossing Indian films.
4. Bang Bang :The posters featuring Katrina Kaif and Hrithik Roshan were enough to draw the audience. With their grand performances, the movie made a total of 181.03 crores. This action comedy was praised especially for the superb stunts. It was deemed a thorough entertainer, thanks to the riveting car chases and the engaging chemistry between the actors.
5. Singham Returns: He returned with a roar and that too with the ravishing Kareena Kapoor Khan. The Rohit Shetty action drama collected 141 crores. It won many positive reviews and Ajay Devgan was loved for his power-packed drama. The impressive performances and the high intensity dialogues were praised as well.
6. Holiday-A Soldier Is Never Off Duty: The action thriller featured Akshay and Sonakshi. With the nett collection of 112.65 crores, it became the biggest nett grosser of the first half of 2014. It explored the relationship between the army and civilians. The movie was totally engrossing, and won kudos for its thought provoking messages.
7. Jai Ho: The Sohail Khan directed action drama made 111 crores. Daisy Shah got the golden opportunity to work alongside Tabu and Salman. It was a semi-hit at the box office, and was liked for the excellent way in which it delivered the message. It narrated the story of modern India that is rife with corruption.
8. Ek Villain: This romantic thriller was truly gripping, with the impressive acting of Shraddha Kapoor and Sidharth Malhotra. With the nett collection of 105 crores, it was especially loved for its soulful and melodious soundtrack. Riteish Deshmukh’s wonderful acting skills gave life to the negative role. The excellent direction and acting made the story truly touching.
9. 2 States: Karan Johar did an amazing job with this romantic comedy and the box office earnings were 104 crores. The credit goes to the perfect chemistry between the bubby Alia Bhatt and the dashing Arjun Kapoor. With their marvelous acting, they struck the right balance between romance and comedy. The movie received great reviews from several critics. The north-south love story, something fresh in Bollwood, was welcomed with open arms by the audience.
10. Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania: Alia Bhatt delivered another terrific performance with this one. The romantic comedy collected 76.81 crore. Varun Dhawan’s role as Humpty Sharma was very much admired. The movie was blessed with the directorial talents of Karan Johar, who declared that this project was an ode to the classic hit ‘Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge’.